Let’s banish those winter blues! Here are more than 50 things to do during winter in Hamilton and Halton area, including Milton, Oakville, Burlington, Waterdown, Hamilton, Stoney Creek and beyond. These ideas will help you get out of the house and have fun!
- Hike at one of our favourite kid-approved hiking spots. We’ve got stroller-friendly hikes here, so bring the littlest explorers with you
- Wander near the water. Lake Ontario’s waterfront is easily accessible, smooth-paved in most areas, and always free to explore
- Keep and eye on the wildlife at Cherry Hill Gate. Bring your binoculars and observe the birds, squirrels and other animals in the water ways
- Visit Bronte Creek Provincial park and explore the working Victorian-era farmhouse and see some of their farm animals. These mild temperatures mean they may be out in their pens
- Take a trip to the Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory. It’s a tropical oasis that kids will love
- Triple C Farm is one of our favourite places to visit. Their farm takes in animals in need and is home to goats, sheep, horses, donkeys, alpacas. llamas, pigs and more!
Soak Up The Christmas Spirit
- Use our Google Map to find streets and neighbourhoods decked out in their Christmas lights and displays
- Wander through Spencer Smith Park and see the 26th annual Lakeside Festival of Lights. No cost, and stratigically located near some great hot chocolate shops!
- Check out Country Bright, a walk-though light experience in Milton. We loved it and it’s enchanting if you’re a Christmas light fan like I am
Cheap and Easy Outdoor Fun
- Toboggan the hills, there are 10 city-approved sledding hills for you to try
- Skate at an outdoor skating rink. We know where they best ones are
- Glide around on your cross-country skies. There are a few great trails in and around Burlington and Hamilton
- Join our Winter Family Fun Challenge and get a daily inspiration for something to do with the kids over winter break (you can even earn prizes!)
Run, Jump, Climb and Play!
- Play Indoors no matter the weather. Here’s our massive list of indoor things to do nearby
- You can read our coverage of local play centres here and see which ones are going to be added to your “must-visit list”
- Pre-book a time to play at Oakville’s only Kids Gym, We Rock The Spectrum – they have a zipline!
- Take kids of all ages to the massive Lil Monkeys Indoor Playground in Burlington
- Tweens and Teens will love climbing at The Hub Climbing in Mississauga
Take a Road Trip or a Day Trip
- Stratford, Ontario looks like a Hallmark movie set in the winter, and their downtown shopping is quaint. Don’t miss out on their widely-known chocolate shops while you’re there
- Spend the day or weekend in Guelph because there is so much to do! Here’s 10+ things to do in Guelph to get you started
- Staycationg is my jam, and we loooved our local staytrip in Burlington
Eat Great Food
- Our readers told us the very best donuts in Hamilton, Burlingotn and Oakville – go get one today!
- The best french fry joints are open all year long. You told us these were the best spots for fries in town
- It’s never not a great time for ice cream! And lots of these ice cream shops are open all year
Free and Cheap Ideas
- Have you looked up Postcrossing yet? We’ve been taking about it non-stop since we discovered it
- Same goes with Letters From Afar. Kids will love following Isabelle on her world adventures through beautiful letters, maps and stamps.
- Check out the Library. They’ve got books (duh), movies, games, learning kits, audiobooks and even family passes to art galleries, conservation areas and museums!
More Great Things To Do
- Events Honouring The National Day of Truth and Reconciliation
- The Best Things To Do This Weekend: Sept 30 – Oct 2, 2022
- Why We Love Mountsberg Conservation Area
- Ride the Antique Carousel at Lakeside Park
- Family First Play Therapy Centre Comes To Burlington
- The Best Places To See The Leaves Change in Burlington and Hamilton
- Downey’s Farm Welcomes You To Pumpkin Fest and More!
- 7 Large and Small Local Corn Mazes Around Hamilton and Halton
- 44 Family Favourite Fall Activities