A day home with the kids is an opportunity to do something great together…but what?! We have some fun ideas for things to do on a PA Day!
Have Fun at Home
Staying home can be awesome! We have some great ways to make home fun again…
- Build a pillow fort – kids of every age love this one. I know a few grownups who do, too.
- Watch a movie or TV show together, bonus points if it is Christmas related.
- Set up a hot chocolate bar: marshmallows, whipped cream, sprinkles, cookie crumbles, and more! Just a few bucks really goes a lot way.
- Have you written to Santa yet? You have until December 10th to drop those letter in the mail if you’re looking for a letter in return.
- Put up your tree and decorations! It’s never too early for Christmas cheer – especially this year!
- Send some love through the mail. Everyone loves mail and this time of year, a Christmas card goes a long way.
- Facetime or have a driveway visit with the old folks in your life. They’ll appreciate it more than you know.
- Play a board game or build a craft kit.
- Create your own advent calendar, we’ve got some great ideas!
- Bake! Bake for dessert, bake for a gift or bake just to experiment. Either way, it’s delicious!
- Take a virtual tour of Ireland House museum and see what life was like in our region back in the
- Find more ideas for Fun At Home here.
Have Fun Outdoors
Being outdoors is a great way to tire the kids out, and you’ll be fine if you dress for it (I promise!) Here are a few ideas to get your outside…
- Have you seen the lights at Spencer Smith Park? They’re beautiful this time of year, and only around for a short time, so don’t miss them.
- Do “nothing”. Kind of. Give the kids some loose parts and let them create the fun today.
- Ice excavating is soooo much any time of year. Buy yourself time to drink your tea when the kids are “hard at work”
- Cut your own Christmas tree down! These local Christmas tree farms can accommodate, or they can sell you a Canadian-grown masterpiece pre-cut and ready for your roof rack!
- Geocaching is such an underestimated activity. It’s free, outdoors and filled with adventure. Plus, you can (literally) do it anywhere in the world!
- Parks aren’t closed, so go climb, slide, swing and play all day at a new-to-you park or playground
- Wander your ‘hood or drive to another area and check out the houses with the best Christmas lights with our map!
Have Fun Indoors, But Not At Home
- There are indoor locations who can safely accommodate families/bubbles with a private rental to make sure you can still play
- Shop for the ones who need it the most. Buy some food items or a toy for families who are struggling this year.
- Santa Claus is still making appearances, and you can see him at these locations. Bring your mask!
- The Gage Park Greenhouse is a tranquil garden oasis in the heart of a vibrant city. Your kids will love the water creatures and the cool plant life.
- Have you ever been on a tour of Dundurn Castle? We just went in a few weeks ago and LOVED IT. And now, with the residence being fully decorated for the holidays, you’re sure to be impressed!