“If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.” ~ Booker T. Washington
This is one of my most favourite quotes. Maybe because it’s true and so easy to uphold. We all know how great it feels to make a difference – just a small one – in someone’s day. You hold open a door, complement a new shirt, or pay it forward at the drive-thru. If you’re looking for a few more suggestions for volunteering in Halton, we’ll get you started on the right path with a few of our family-friendly suggestions, but please remember to give any way you can this season.
Ways to give back in Halton
Volunteer Your Time
- Sort food at the food bank. Halton has numerous, so you’ll find one that fits you perfectly right here
- Wrap presents at Burlington Mall in support of The United Way
- Jingle bells for the Salvation Army Kettle Drive
- Sort donated toys at the Children’s Aid Society
- Encourage shoppers to buy a turkey for Food for Life’s Turkey Drive
Donate Goods or Money
- Shifra Homes offers monthly or one-time online donation options
- Compassion Society supports thousands in our community and needs your help to keep their doors open.
- Collect food bank donations at your holiday events in lieu of hostess gifts
- Warwick Court’s Our Community Cares Centre is always ready for new additions to their free clothing closet.
Be There For Someone
- Kids Help Phone is a personal favourite of mine, and you can help in any number of ways
- Meals on Wheels is more than food, it is a friendly face and a nice visit for someone who needs you
- Be a Santa to a senior in our community, and help one more person have a wonderful Christmas
These inspirations of how to volunteer in Halton are taken from Halton Community Services and Volunteer Halton, and are just the tip of the iceberg. Please check out these sites as they have openings for dozens of volunteers this season.
Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to all!