We are in the midst of another heat alert and temperatures are expected to be over 31 degrees celsius before humidex. Be safe, lessen your planned activities, and seek air conditioning at one of the local cooling centres near you.
Table of Contents
COOLING CENTRES IN HAMILTON, ONTARIO
The City of Hamilton and participating community agencies are responding to the heat by offering “cool places” to go during all stages of a heat event. These locations can be identified by a “Cool Down Here” sign at the entrance. Please note, Cool places are not operational on holidays: May 24, July 1, August 2 and September 6.
- Bayfront Park Beach, 200 Harbour Front Drive, Hamilton
- Beach Boulevard, Beach Boulevard, Hamilton
- Binbrook Conservation Area Beach, 5050 Harrison Road, Binbrook
- Christie Conservation Area Beach, 1000 Highway 5 West, Dundas
- Confederation Beach Park, 680 Van Wagner’s Beach Road, Hamilton
- Pier 4 Park Beach, Bay Street North at Leander Drive, Hamilton
- Valens Conservation Area Beach, 1691 Regional Road 97, RR 6, Flamborough
- Van Wagner’s Beach, 180 Van Wagner’s Beach Road, Hamilton
POOLS, SPLASH PADS AND WADING POOLS
*All wading pools, except for Dundas Driving Park, are closed during an Extended Heat Warning. Please visit an indoor/outdoor pool or spray pad.
Open during posted customer service hours
- Central Memorial Community Centre, 93 West Avenue S, Hamilton
- Norman Pinky Lewis Recreation Centre, 192 Wentworth Street N, Hamilton
- Sackville Hill Seniors Centre, 780 Upper Wentworth Street, Hamilton
HAMILTON PUBLIC LIBRARIES
- Hamilton Central Library, 55 York Blvd, Hamilton
Hours of operation: Tuesday to Friday 10 am to 6 pm, Saturday 10 am to 5 pm, Sunday to Monday 1 pm to 5 pm
- Branch locations: Ancaster, Barton, Binbrook, Concession, Dundas, Kenilworth, Locke, Red Hill, Sherwood, Terryberry, Turner Park and Waterdown
Hours of operation: Tuesday to Friday, 10 am to 6 pm; Saturday 10 am to 5 pm
- Branch locations: Carlisle, Freelton, Greensville, Lynden, Mount Hope, Stoney Creek, Valley Park and Westdale
Hours of operation: Tuesday – Friday 1 pm to 6 pm; Saturday 1 pm to 5 pm. Locations and hours
COOLING CENTRES IN BURLINGTON, ONTARIO
During a heat warning or extended heat warning, Burlington residents can keep cool at one of the open Burlington Public Library locations listed below. More info can be found here on the City of Burlington website.
- Central Branch – 2331 New St., 905-639-3611
- Aldershot Branch – 550 Plains Rd. E., 905-333-9995
- Alton Branch – 3040 Tim Dobbie Dr., 905-634-3686
- Brant Hills Branch – 2255 Brant St., 905-335-2209
- New Appleby Branch – 676 Appleby Line, 905-639-6373
- Tansley Woods Branch – 1996 Itabashi Way, 905-336-5583
Burlington POOLS, SPLASH PADS AND WADING POOLS
COOLING CENTRES IN OAKVILLE, ONTARIO
During a heat warning or extended heat warning, Oakville residents can keep cool at one of the 3 locations listed below. More info can be found here on the Town of Oakville website.
OAKVILLE COOLING LOCATIONS
- Trafalgar Park Community Centre: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. any day
- Glen Abbey library branch: 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday
- Iroquois Ridge library branch: 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday